Happy World Health Day everyone!
This subject of this year’s focus is ‘Our Planet Our Health’ and is looking at ways we can keep both ourselves and the planet healthy. Sometimes in our everyday lives it is easy to forget to stay healthy and with so much temptation with food and other treats around us all the time, it is not surprising that we don’t always stay on track with our health goals! In addition, in a world that promotes fast consumption and immediate gratification, we may forget or not even realise how we are impacting the planet.
tips for being healthy
Here are some ideas for people to think about, which may help them kick start a healthier lifestyle or maintain a healthier way of living and equally, consider being kinder to the planet.
1. Share your healthy food recipe ideas with your colleagues – things like -healthy stir fries, low fat curries, salads, fun ways to cook vegetables and even healthy cakes!
2. Do at least one bout of exercise each week for this month. It doesn’t have to be an excessive workout; it could just be a lovely walk in the park or along the seafront.
3. Have fun! We can all get stuck in our daily lives of working and sometimes we work too hard…and this needs to be rewarded! Remember to have fun. Fun is good for us and it is important in life to have a balance. Book in something that you feel is fun this month. Maybe it is something you have wanted to do for a while – a trip, a day out shopping, a cinema date, a football match. Whatever fun looks like for you, go and have some!
4. Relax! Take the necessary time you need to relax. It is important for us to take time to relax as this helps us recharge for the next day and our busy lives. Make a point of planning something relaxing for the evenings of this month – things like a bubble bath, meditation, a pampering session etc…
5. Set a goal! Setting is goals is good for us. It helps us stay motivated and focused. It might be something like decluttering the wardrobe or doing more regular exercise – whatever the case, make sure your goal is achievable and preferably something you will enjoy doing. Try and set a goal for this month.
tips for being kind to the planet
The planet and our environment is also an issue very much at the forefront at present. If you like the idea of being kinder to planet, here are some achievable suggestions you could undertake today and beyond…
1. Have 1 day a week of being dairy free – there are some really good lactose alternatives – soya and oat milk are delicious!
2. Lower red meat intake – this not only has health benefits for the planet but also health benefits for us as individuals.
3. Shop local – this not only helps to reduce your carbon footprint, it also helps your local family business do well. How cool!
4. Cycle or walk to work – this in turn reduces pollution and encourages better physical health.
5. Reuse and recycle – Shop in charity shops…you can get some great stuff, give nice nearly new items to charity shops. Use the Vinted app! Fill up your blue boxes always!!!
So let’s see how many of the above you can work on, and feel free to share any of your experiences, feelings, and achievements with us at asphaleia. We would love to see any comments or pictures to show how you have got on.
All the best 😊
This content is general information only, not advice. If you or someone you know is struggling with a mental health issue, please contact a mental health professional or contact the Samaritans.