asphaleia are launching a significant project this week that will kickstart a year long, 2021 focus on reviewing and reflecting on the environmental impact asphaleia has. We will be reflecting on the way we work and actively taking steps to reduce our organisational carbon footprint by adopting and working towards the UN's sustainable development goals.
According to the UN, the Sustainable Development Goals are the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. They address the global challenges we face, including poverty, inequality, climate change, environmental degradation, peace and justice. Watch the video below to find out more about the 17 SDGs.
countdown to 2021
In a 9-week countdown to the end of 2020, we will be highlighting three themes across three-week periods. They are;
We will be sharing information, resources and asking staff to take part in some events and through their working day they will be asked to reflect and re-think how we work. These are not just words and in asphaleia action's words-
action n. - done not just said
In 2021 we are committed to tangible change.
what will we do?
Organisationally we will;
· Measurably reduce our carbon footprint through changing practice in all of our services.
· Adopt and work towards UN sustainable development goals. https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/
· Work towards a Green Quality mark.
· Offer staff training and development opportunities.
· Develop introducing a specific ILS accredited qualification offer to young people.
As we are committing to a year-long focus there will be many opportunities including Green Champion roles for staff and young people, participating in events such as 'switch off' fortnight, and introducing growing our own fruit and veg, to name a few.
We are looking forward to participating in this as an organisation and sharing the journey with our asphaleia community.